Hello. I thought it is my responsability to share my process from time to time , so here it is
, Done in Photoshop CS5:
0.(Not in the picture) I make a lot of thumbnails in order to choose a convincing composition. I chose a very simple one this time.
1. Rough lines.
3. Final Lines.
4. Gradient silhouette (I somewhat define the main lightsource on this step)
5. Defined volumes, lights and shadows.
6. Added detail, texture, and cast shadows.
7. Added a simple background. Notice how I generate contrast between this background and the character placing light values next to the dark ones.
8. Added color on a different layer in "color" mode.
9. Added rim lights, bounce lights, sparks, corner glows and many others.
10. Using an adjustment layer called "Curves", I play with the different tones of the picture, until I get a satisfying result.
I hope you find this useful
Cheers to all!